Medical Emergency / Accident / Incident
To establish a process for emergency procedure for clients, sud – contractors, and staff. To indicate what constitutes an emergency, when to call the police, when to call the fire department. It is the policy of SPHC that each staff prior to working with any personal support / client have a current CPR and First Aide certification in order to render assistance in a medical emergency.
GENERAL PRINCIPLE: SPHC sub – contractor / staff must:
- Be courteous, truthful, and respectful when dealing with clients.
- Carry out their professional work in a competent and objective manner.
- Be in continuous compliance with SPHC policy and procedures.
- Comply at all times with all federal, state and local laws and regulations, including but not limited to laws relating to license, scope of practice.
Policy for Medical Emergency
- Insure that client has a permission for medical treatment form on file in their home; this form will be updated every 12 months or as changes occur
- Assist client appropriately in medical emergency. (Example: CPR, First Aide, and calling 911.)
- If a client claims to be in unbearable pain, discoloring of face, or any limbs
- Unable to breathe, or client feels they are in danger or someone is a threat to the client
- Or if there is any other emergency; If there is a fire in the home you are to call 911
- Once your client is safe ~ at home or taken by ambulance to the hospital ~ etc.
- An ACCIDENT / INCIDENT form needs to be complete within the first 24 hours of the event.
- Once completed turn form into your immediate supervisor at the main office at 1127 Brown Ave, Columbus Ga. 31906 706 221 -3170 no less than 48 hours of the accident / complaint / incident.
SPHC Response to a Medical Emergency:
- Once the details are reviewed by SPHC RN; SPHC nurse will contact the client to inquire the state of the client.
- Once the client is back in the home; home health services will continue within 24 hours of returning to their home.
- Once the client is back in their home SPHC nurse will visit their within 48 hours of the client returning home.